[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Sun Sep 26 01:16:12 UTC 2021

    Date:        Sat, 25 Sep 2021 23:21:50 +0100
    From:        "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at davros.org>

  | So, at the risk of putting words into your mouth that weren't there, you
  | want to bring everything from backzone into the main distribution and have
  | a policy of not getting rid of any zone that already exists?

Apart from the exceptions related to simple renaming when the policy allows
that to happen, and removing errors (including typos in zone names, mistaken
additions, etc) before they've become stable, then yes, that would be about it.

  | That's always been the case. I've not seen any authority bothering to do
  | that, though - given that they don't bother to tell us about changes until
  | a few days before, we clearly aren't high up on their list of important
  | things to worry about. So I don't think this is a significant risk.

Things are becoming move visible.   Until recently only a very small fraction
of the world cared in the slightest what we do - but now since everyone's
phone depends upon this data, things are becoming more visible.

kre