[tz] Preparing to fork tzdb

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Sep 27 00:44:20 UTC 2021

On 9/22/21 11:32 AM, Brooks Harris via tz wrote:
> Olsen's original insight to use towns and cities to name time zones
> turns out to be extraordinarily useful.

As a historical note, the naming convention you're talking about is
something I originated and contributed to tzdb in 1993. Although I began
with more-complicated names like Pacific/Fiji/Suva and
North_America/US/Los_Angeles, the country names (and the "North_") were
more trouble than they were worth, so I removed them before sending
patches for Arthur to install.

One of my early emails about my idea concluded that "It looks like this
will take some time." Which it has.

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/1993-October/009233.html