[tz] Using the tzdb: What's actually changed

Anthony Hernandez ant at antfeedr.com
Tue Sep 28 16:39:57 UTC 2021

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 8:43 AM Derick Rethans via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2021, Watson Ladd via tz wrote:
>
> > I see a lot of complaints, and very few details about the applications
> > affected. Which makes me skeptical they actually exist.
>
> PHP has millions of users, can you guarantee that it won't be a problem
> for any of them?
>
> cheers,
> Derick
>
> --
> PHP 7.4 Release Manager
> Host of PHP Internals News: https://phpinternals.news
> Like Xdebug? Consider supporting me: https://xdebug.org/support
> https://derickrethans.nl | https://xdebug.org | https://dram.io
> twitter: @derickr and @xdebug

Sorry but how is that a problem for tzdb? It's pretty well established that
the primary focus of the database has to do with maintaining the integrity
of data post-1970.

If any downstream application or language is impacted by an action taken in
the spirit of that, it's not tzdb's problem.

When the requirement arises for pre-1970s timezone data, the backzone files
do exist and there have been multiple strategies discussed at this point on
how to use the ones that might be needed.