[tz] TZDB use cases

Matthew Donadio matt at mxd120.com
Wed Sep 29 22:20:12 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 5:58 PM Stephen Colebourne via tz <tz at iana.org>
wrote:

> In this thread I want to try and capture the *requirements* for the
> project from the perspective of a downstream user. Given this, we may
> then have a chance to analyse whether the project needs a change of
> rules.

Thanks for starting this. Are you thinking that these are akin to user
stories for just the data, or for everything?

Besides the discussion you opened, there are related topics that can be
added, such as (but not totally):

 - What is the public API of the project, and how is it advertised?
 - What is the backwards-compatability policy should a change be needed to
the public API?

For those types of topics, there is inspiration from many of the
well-managed F/OSS ecosystems.

And this be a nit, but I think "What is the time now?" needs to be more
explicitly "What is the wall-time for a particular person now?" and similar
for past and future.

--Matthew Donadio (matt at mxd120.com)