[tz] Change Request: Europe/Kiev to Europe/Kyiv

Paul Ganssle paul.tz at ml.ganssle.io
Fri Apr 15 15:31:09 UTC 2022

Throwing out another option: it seems that at least Europe/Zaporozhye
came directly from Shanks with no corroboration, and at least one of my
Ukrainian colleagues expressed some skepticism that these regions even
have a distinct time zone history, see this previous thread:
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2018-June/026562.html

I don't think we ever got any corroboration on the validity of these
data. I certainly could never find anything about it. I seem to recall
Andrew Paprocki filed some sort of freedom of information act request
with the CIA for clarification, but I don't recall anything ever coming
from that. If these are "phantom zones" we can quite possibly moot the
question by merging them into Europe/Kyiv.

Best,
Paul