[tz] Moving more zones to 'backzone'

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 07:24:37 UTC 2022

* Stephen Colebourne via tz:

> It is sad that after many emails exchanged on the topic there is still
> no understanding of why these changes are so offensive. It ought to be
> obvious that wiping out the time-zone history of Oslo or Stockholm in
> favour of Berlin is a political and cultural statement that the
> project simply should not be making. As I've said before, I view these
> time-zone merges as a form of (US) imperialism against smaller
> countries that only have one time-zone. In no way shape or form are
> the merges "nonpolitical".

I'm not sure if the above is an appropriate characterization, but I want
to point out that switching much of Europe to Europe/Berlin will leaves
us ill-equipped to deal with future time zone fragmentation after
mandatory DST has been abolished in Europe, and different countries make
different choices.

Thanks,
Florian