[tz] make traditional_tarballs fails on macOS for 2022b

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 11 07:08:13 UTC 2022

On 8/10/22 23:44, Deborah Goldsmith wrote:
> Given that this is a bug that affects multiple systems (macOS, FreeBSD 13.1) please consider releasing a new version with the fix.

Before doing a new release could you explain a bit more what went wrong?
I wonder whether we're merely papering over a deeper problem.

macOS users don't need to run "make traditional_tarballs" to get
traditional tarballs, as they can get these tarballs prebuilt from upstream:

https://data.iana.org/time-zones/releases/tzcode2022b.tar.gz
https://data.iana.org/time-zones/releases/tzdata2022b.tar.gz

So I expect there's something more going on, such as modifying the code
or data before generating the traditional tarballs as part of some
script. What sort of modifications or script is that? And some process
is modifying the source or data, can't that process also apply the patch
as part of the modification?

Also, I'm puzzled by why workman.sh was invoked, as I mentioned in my
recent email to Guy. Is that due to the modifications mentioned above?