[tz] Moving more zones to 'backzone'

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Aug 15 20:45:20 UTC 2022

On 8/15/22 13:04, Robert Elz wrote:

> I don't use git, have never used git, and don't plan on ever doing so.
> So, that is unlikely to happen.

Then perhaps you could come up with some other form for changes to the
backzone data, and someone else who cares about backzone data could
volunteer to put those changes into git format-patch form. There doesn't
have to be a single person that does all the work.

That being said, it's certainly fine if you don't want to bother.
'backzone' is a mess, it's unimportant to almost everybody, maintenance
would be a thankless and time-consuming job, and everybody's better off
spending their limited time doing other things.

> the names exist whether just as a link or an actual zone.

Although that's true for old names, where at least a Link must be
present for backward compatibility with the old guidelines, it's not
true for the way things are done now. For example, despite recent events
in Kosovo we haven't had to worry about creating a name like
Europe/Pristina, and this is a win.