[tz] Trivial questions about Tz

dpatte dpatte at relativedata.com
Mon Aug 15 21:23:54 UTC 2022

I was just curious...

Generally, when a region comes off Daylight/Summer time, the wall time is set back, causing a wall clock to repeat a portion of wall times (albeit with a different time abbreviation).

Likewise, if a region elects a new GMT offset that is further west than before, the wall time is also set back, also causing a repeat of wall times  (again with a different time abbreviation).

Are there any known cases in the tz database where two close offset and save changes in one region cause wall times in that region to have not just one but two repeats of the original wall times, such as 3 midnights with the same date?

I am also curious what the largest single change to a save-time is in the database, and the largest single change to a GMT offset-time (though I assume the answer to this second one is Western Samoa).