[tz] Moving more zones to 'backzone'

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Wed Aug 17 09:50:51 UTC 2022

    Date:        Wed, 17 Aug 2022 09:27:20 +0100
    From:        "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at davros.org>

  | So why doesn't that argument apply to Europe/Glasgow and Europe/Cardiff?

Glasgow most probably should have a zone, I'm not aware enough of the
political situation of Wales to guess whether one for Cardiff (however
you want to spell it...) would ever actually set the timezone, or even
have the capacity to do so, but I have no objection to it in principal.

  | Followed in quick succession by Europe/Redruth.

I have absolutely no idea where that is, or what it is, so no
comment.

The decision would be based generally on whether the authority in question
has the authority to set the time (which would be demonstrated by their having
done that, even if that amounts to no more than "The English Standard time
act of 1317 applies, as amended, including amendments made in the future".)
or has demonstrated actually setting the timezone and having that used.

If all the data for the zone (back to the beginning of standard time) is
the same as that of some other zone (LMT not counted, as that only ever
applies at one point, the offset needs to be recalculated based on longitude
everywhere else - not that anyone ever bothers doing that) then it can be
implemented as just a link (until such time as it differs).

kre