[tz] No time zone on Solaris servers

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Aug 26 16:10:05 UTC 2022

On 8/26/22 10:06, W CUI wrote:
> We are running 64-bit Solaris as showing from the "isainfo -v" output.

Fine, but Solaris 10 /usr/bin/date is a 32-bit executable and is
dynamically linked to a 32-bit C library /lib/libc.so.1 that is reading
your TZif files. Presumably your "isainfo -v" outputs something like this:

   64-bit sparcv9 applications
         vis2 vis
   32-bit sparc applications
         vis2 vis v8plus div32 mul32

and the last two lines are what matter here.

I expect that 64-bit Solaris 10 apps don't have this problem. To find
out whether I'm right, you can run '/usr/bin/sparcv9/ls -l' on a new
file and look at the resulting timestamp.

Regardless, if this issue is a real problem for you then it's time to
file a bug report with Oracle (you can tell them I sent you :-). And in
the meantime you can get by with 'zic -b fat'.