[tz] winter & Summer time in the State Of Palestine

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Tue Aug 30 19:27:22 UTC 2022

On Aug 30, 2022, at 12:13 PM, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the information. It is good to have predictions for several years in advance, as it can take some time for this information to propagate to cell phones and computers. The attached proposed patch predicts similar transitions after the year 2026, as that seems more likely than no transitions.
>
> Although the announcement doesn't say how transition dates are calculated, the dates through 2026 are consistent with Palestine springing forward at 02:00 on the first Saturday on or after March 24, and falling back on the first Saturday on or after October 24. If this is not the intended rule please let us know, since our software is rule-based for predictability.

I.e., while we *could* add specific rule lines for each of those years, if we can, instead, have a general rule line that starts in 2023 and continues on, which means that if 2027 continues the pattern, the Palestinian government wouldn't need to inform us of the behavior for 2027, and we wouldn't have to update the file in 2027, and so on for further years after 2026.

That's what Paul's patch does - adds a general rule, so we would need an update from the State of Palestine only if 2027 or 2028 or... *doesn't* follow the pattern.