[tz] [PROPOSED] Simplify zdump average-taking

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 1 05:01:47 UTC 2022

On 2022-11-30 18:25, Philip Paeps wrote:
> I can't speak for Paul but this specific change looks primarily like a
> simplification.  The fact that it improves performance is a happy
> coincidence.

This particular change's main point was to fix the comment, since we are
moving to C99 or later. The code simplification was a nicety that's
independent from the C99 change. The delta to the generated instructions
was more a note to myself than anything important.

I did run the usual regression tests, as I do with all code changes. You
can run them too, by invoking "make check" or (my favorite on GNU/Linux)
"make CFLAGS='$(GCC_DEBUG_FLAGS)' check". Of course the tests are not
exhaustive.

zdump is by far the biggest performance bottleneck in 'make check' so at
least one user (namely me) would benefit from a faster zdump, not that
this change affected zdump's performance significantly.