[tz] 1981/2 Singapore+Malaysia switch from GMT+0730 to GMT+0800

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 1 20:31:19 UTC 2022

On 2022-12-01 01:22, Stephen Colebourne via tz wrote:
> if you are making a change that affects one of
> the non-backzone files, but the change also impacts one of the
> backzone locations, you should also be responsible for updating
> backzone.

Surely the responsibility for maintaining data outside TZDB's normal
scope should be on those who want the out-of-scope data to be maintained.

'backzone' has long contained lower-quality data, including data
inconsistent with the main data. Although I don't have the time or
inclination to fix that, if you or someone else does then please feel
free to submit patches. Any 'backzone' patches need not be applied
simultaneously with patches to the main data; it's OK to take all the
time you need to think through how 'backzone' should be improved.