[tz] TZDB patches, UTF-8, and Microsoft Exchange

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 2 22:09:41 UTC 2022

By the way, I had a little trouble applying your Greenland patch,
because it was encoded in ISO 8859-1, and even though its email header
line correctly said 'Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"',
Git understandably took alarm at the mixture of the patch's ISO 8859-1
and tzdata's UTF-8 and refused to apply the patch.

As it turned out I needed to edit the patch anyway so this was only a
minor hiccup. Still, it looks like this could be a systematic problem
with Microsoft Outlook and/or Exchange, and I wonder whether we can
briefly advise Microsoft-using patch-senders to avoid future glitches.
Unfortunately I don't use Microsoft software for email and so don't know
what to suggest.

Would it suffice to say "Please use 'git send-email'", or would that not
work because Microsoft Exchange transcodes email from UTF-8 into ISO 8859-1?

Does Microsoft Exchange transcode attachments, so even "Please send the
patch as an attachment" does not work?

Or was the problem here that Microsoft Outlook transcodes outgoing mail,
and if so can this be fixed by asking users to specify UTF-8 encoding
for outgoing messages at File > Options > Advanced > International
options[1]?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

[1]:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/content-conversion/message-encoding?view=exchserver-2019#outlook-settings