[tz] TZDB patches, UTF-8, and Microsoft Exchange

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Dec 2 22:38:14 UTC 2022

Paul Eggert wrote:

> Still, it looks like this could be a systematic problem with Microsoft
> Outlook and/or Exchange, and I wonder whether we can briefly advise
> Microsoft-using patch-senders to avoid future glitches. Unfortunately I
> don't use Microsoft software for email and so don't know what to
> suggest.

Outlook and Exchange are fully capable of working in UTF-8, but Outlook doesn’t insist on it, and might not even default to it. I seem to remember having to change the send and receive settings away from “Western European (Windows)” (code page 1252, similar to ISO 8859-1) many years ago.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org