[tz] Help for TZDB localization downstream

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Sat Dec 3 22:57:46 UTC 2022

On Dec 3, 2022, at 12:22 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Possibly even better would be leave the current files alone (this would cause less disruption downstream), and have a new file containing a table that maps abbreviations+contexts to longer names that disambiguate the abbreviations. These longer names could then be used by CLDR and any other localization efforts. Something like this, say:
>
>   ACST * Australian Central Standard
>   ACDT * Australian Central Daylight

CLDR also provideds a "generic" name, so I guess that would be

  ACST * Australian Central Standard, Australian Central, ACT
  ACDT * Australian Central Daylight, Australian Central, ACT

to allow both abbreviations to be converted to the "generic" zone long - and short - names, unless they'd be able to do that on their end.