[tz] Single source of truth for timezone data

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Sat Dec 3 23:15:13 UTC 2022

Guy Harris wrote in
 <49DEEDEF-3BA0-4E1C-BFB1-AA372A93F0FD at sonic.net>:
 |On Dec 2, 2022, at 7:36 PM, Guy Harris via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
 |(Yes, tzdb regions can move from one metazone to another.)
 |
 |So we could, in principle:

I would like to also point to UN Locode mappings.
On a different list many of the readers are also on i said about
three weeks ago:

  UN Locode support should possibly be supported or reserved as
  trade will continue to be the thing, i would suggest via leading
  @ plus the five letters which makes up a Locode entry.  I would
  presume these Locode IDs become known more and more in the
  future.

  [.]IANA TZ over and over discusses the syntax and content of the
  Area/Location IDs as such, and whereas i would assume
  backward-compatibility will not be lost, i could imagine a new
  maintainer (the current one is on the austin ML and reads this,
  sufficient time provided) switches to a new format that serves
  ISO 3166 country codes much better, and ISO 3166 country codes
  are the base (root level) of UN Locodes.

--steffen