[tz] Single source of truth for timezone data

Benjamin Drung benjamin.drung at canonical.com
Fri Dec 9 23:13:45 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-12-07 at 10:08 -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 2022-12-07 03:37, Almaz Mingaleev via tz wrote:
> > Does that mean that libc APIs will behave differently from whatever
> > is using ICU files?
>
> No, as I understand it the idea is to allow automatic rebuilding of the
> timezone-related part of the CLDR/ICU data, whenever a new TZDB version
> is released, without having to wait for updates from CLDR/ICU.

Exactly.

> As I understand it, if TZDB releases version X, Android and Apple
> currently wait for ICU/CLDR to release a new version that takes X's
> changes into account. The idea is that we could improve on this by
> developing a procedure that, given a new TZDB release X and an older
> CLDR/ICU release W, would produce a slightly-modified copy W' of the
> CLDR/IDU data that takes X's changes into account, without having to
> wait for ICU/CLDR to produce a new version. Of course when ICU/CLDR get
> around to producing a new version X themselves, you could discard W'.
>
> The main obstacles I see to this are:
>
> * Copyright issues. Unicode, Inc. does not allow people to redistribute
> modified versions of their data files, even if the modifications are
> clearly needed.

https://github.com/unicode-org/cldr/blob/main/common/supplemental/metaZones.xml
says "Copyright © 1991-2013 Unicode, Inc." and "For terms of use, see
http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html". This page points to
https://www.unicode.org/license.txt This license looks very similar to
BSD/MIT.

--