[tz] Windows build failures

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Dec 20 19:21:38 UTC 2022

On 12/20/22 01:42, Manuela Friedrich wrote:
> So I wonder if you can decouple the new condition to set restrict to empty as it is causing the windows issues.

Sure, I installed the attached; please give it a try.

What this means is that when we eventually remove the PORT_TO_C89 code
(because we no longer need to worry about porting to C89 in general),
we'll still need to keep this "#define restrict /*empty*/" bit to be
used only with Visual Studio, as a last little vestige of C89.

Not that I'm a big fan of "restrict". All things considered I'm more in
the camp of Dennis Ritchie, who famously wrote, "Noalias must go. This
is non-negotiable." <https://www.lysator.liu.se/c/dmr-on-noalias.html>
Although Ritchie won that battle in C89, eventually he lost the war, as
C99's "restrict" is essentially "noalias" by another name.