[tz] Windows build failures

Manuela Friedrich Manuela.Friedrich at actian.com
Wed Dec 21 08:02:23 UTC 2022

Hello Paul,

This is working well!
Thank you!

Regards
Manuela Friedrich

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu>
Sent: Dienstag, 20. Dezember 2022 20:22
To: Manuela Friedrich <Manuela.Friedrich at actian.com>
Subject: Re: Windows build failures

On 12/20/22 01:42, Manuela Friedrich wrote:
> So I wonder if you can decouple the new condition to set restrict to empty as it is causing the windows issues.

Sure, I installed the attached; please give it a try.

What this means is that when we eventually remove the PORT_TO_C89 code (because we no longer need to worry about porting to C89 in general), we'll still need to keep this "#define restrict /*empty*/" bit to be used only with Visual Studio, as a last little vestige of C89.

Not that I'm a big fan of "restrict". All things considered I'm more in the camp of Dennis Ritchie, who famously wrote, "Noalias must go. This is non-negotiable." <https://www.lysator.liu.se/c/dmr-on-noalias.html>
Although Ritchie won that battle in C89, eventually he lost the war, as C99's "restrict" is essentially "noalias" by another name.