[tz] TZ data base and code

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Jan 25 16:36:52 UTC 2022

On 1/25/22 03:00, Jin Quan Shen wrote:

> Found that TZDIR in Makefile and tzselect.ksh must be different.
> TZDIR in Makefile need point to build result directory in VM machine
> TZDIR in tzselect.ksh need point directory in target machine, /usr/bin/

That doesn't sound right. Normally the two TZDIR values should be the
same. TZDIR is supposed to be where the data are installed, and /usr/bin
does not sound like the right place for that as /usr/bin is supposed to
be where commands are installed.

> i still have many compile error when compile the opensource code for
> zdump, zic.

That's a sign of concern, and you should investigate the diagnostics.

I don't get any diagnostics when I build on Ubuntu, or on Fedora. Do
things work for you on one of these more-typical systems? If so, you can
investigate the first place where your build goes wrong and investigate
why it went wrong there.

> And not every files is compiled when call Makefile, the error occurred
> in log as following, seem localtime.c was not get compiled
> localtime.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized

It sounds like your build system is misconfigured, as it is not even
recognizing its own .o files. This is something you need to fix on your
end; I can't help much. You can practice by compiling, linking and
running a trivial C program 'int main (void) { return 0; }'; once that
works, use the same flags to build and run zic and zdump.

PS. Please don't send diagnostics as images, as deliberately-corrupted
images are a common way to attempt to break into recipients' systems.
Instead, just send text.