[tz] Commentary-only releases - let's not (was: Re: Please Don't Feed the Trolls (was Kyiv not Kiev))

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 09:06:59 UTC 2022

On 01/07/2022 21:24, Petro Ord via tz wrote:
>> Has there been an announcement from Ukraine that they will be going on permanent standard time ending in 2023?
> The Government of Ukraine discusses the possibility to use permanent
> standard time each year, but such a decision has not been approved
> yet.

Even if they don't, it may be imposed by the EU if Ukraine becomes a
member thereof.  The EU has already resolved to abolish DST changes in
the member states, with each state getting to choose whether to stay on
winter or summer time permanently.  It was supposed to have been
implemented by now, but keeps getting postponed.

If Ukraine became a member state and eventually chose summer time as
their standard time then Europe/Kyiv and Europe/Simferopol would show
the same time all year round!

I don't know if the UK would follow along with abolishing DST changes.
They currently follow EU DST rules too, but are no longer part of the EU
(sadly).

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-