[tz] Fixing GeoNames timezone error

Evan Siroky evan.siroky at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 09:33:38 UTC 2022

 I agree with Chris.
I'm adding a reference to the GitHub issue that Kerry created. https://github.com/evansiroky/timezone-boundary-builder/issues/131
Evan
    On Friday, 8 July 2022 at 04:22:26 am GMT+2, Chris Walton via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

 The Nipigon/Toronto is a pet peeve of mine.It is the result of some questionable data inside Openstreetmap (OSM).
Nipigon is a small township in Northern Ontario with a population of 1473 and an area of 108 square km.To put this into perspective:
-Nipigon contains 0.01% of Ontario's total population.-Nipigon makes up 0.01% of Ontario's total land area.
Inside OSM,  somebody moved 73% of the land in Ontario into the America/Nipigon timezone.  It was done with about 120 separate changesets between February and June of 2020.  Some of the changesets have no source; others list "Shanks" as a reference.After following this mailing list for 15 years, I am very skeptical of the work published by Shanks, but I am in no position to prove it is wrong.I am also skeptical that anybody travelling directly by car from Windsor to Montreal (post 1970) would have had to pass through multiple time zone regions.
The OSM relations are listed below.Note that if you click on the OSM links, the colour orange is used for both inner and outer boundaries thus the inner polygons are "holes" or "excluded areas". Without shading, it is not always simple to recognize this.The relations are large and may take some time to load in your browser.
OSM America/Toronto relation: Includes most of Quebec and most urban centres in Ontario. Area: 1,546,844.1 square km. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6483867#map=5/53.592/-73.135
OSM America/Nipigon relation: Includes most rural areas of Ontario east of 90°W Also includes a few populated centers such as Sarnia (pop: 72,047) and Barrie (pop: 147,829). Area: 787,493.2 square km. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6498592#map=6/45.982/-81.573
>From a daylight saving standpoint, both zones have been the same since 1974.

It would be very helpful if somebody could accurately determine when Barrie and Sarnia started using daylight saving (without using Shanks or OSM as a reference).
-chris