[tz] Timezone error (Kyiv not Kiev)

Petro Ord petro.ordyn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 23:38:47 UTC 2022

> No. It was updated because information on the ground indicates that the local time had changed.
Time in the Crimea was changed solely in support of the russian
invasion (and in a few days).
Name Kyiv has not been corrected also to show support of the terrorist
country (this error persists in the tzdb since 1991).

Nowhere in the "theory and pragmatics of the tz code and data" it is
explained or clarified why Kyiv was chosen over Kiev.
“Mainstream English spelling” does not have any hidden meanings, it
says "spelling" not "usage", "popularity" or else, it says "spelling".