[tz] IANA timezone database - request to add Omaha, Nebraska

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Jul 21 17:24:02 UTC 2022

Bob Wilmes said:
> Thank you for responding.

You're welcome.

> I am so sorry to hear that forever my time
> in the Ubuntu time zone map will be tied to Chicago. That???s very disappointing news.

I'm sure that there are many people who think that their own city / town /
village / hamlet should have its own zone. But, looking objectively, there
is no justification for having two identical zones [1] so a single name
needs to be chosen.

The names such as America/Chicago are primarily internal identifiers. They
are not intended as the way that you find your zone. We have a policy for
naming that uses the name of the largest city/town/village/hamlet in the
area covered by the zone at the time the zone was created. Even if Omaha
grew larger than Chicago, it's arguable whether the zone should be renamed
or not.

Downstream users, such as Ubuntu, should be providing a more friendly way
of selecting time zones. Such methods could easily contain Omaha, but they
are outwith the scope of the TZDB project.

Sorry that you're disappointed, but we have good reasons for this.

[1] There are examples, but these are basically there for backwards
compatibility.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.