[tz] IANA timezone database - request to add Omaha, Nebraska

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 07:55:44 UTC 2022

* Guy Harris via tz:

> However, once the city was selected, the "Date & Time" setting appears
> to have forgotten the city I chose; it reports Los Angeles, instead.
> Strike 1.

This is because the system necessarily has to use the IANA tz identifier
internally for compatibility purposes (e.g., across container
boundaries, or for other system configuration tools).

It's just a myth that the IANA tz identifiers are internal data
invisible to users.  Real systems do not work this way.  Changing that
will break interoperability.

Thanks,
Florian