[tz] Change Turkey to Turkiye or not?

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Mon Jun 6 19:48:31 UTC 2022

On Mon, 6 Jun 2022 at 15:31, Michael H Deckers via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

>     On 2022-06-06 17:56, Russ Allbery via tz wrote:
>

> >    And just to set expectations, the time range you should be thinking of
> >    here is on the order of ten years.
>
>      I disagree: as the name "Turkey" does not appear in the
>      interfaces produced by tzdb (not even in tzselect), the
>      change can and should be effected as soon as it is internationally
>      agreed (if it is, anyway). That's what we did when Swaziland was
>      renamed Eswatini a couple of years ago.

And (somewhat) similarly with North Macedonia.  I agree that
commentary-only changes warrant a lower threshold.  Furthermore, it's much
easier and less disruptive in such cases to justify inclusion of a few
alternate names, as it doesn't affect the data at all, as we did with
Eswatini:

# Eswatini (formerly Swaziland)

Even if this change is formally adopted by several international bodies,
most people will take longer to adapt their usage, and we should keep the
data files useful to them, as well.

--
Tim Parenti