[tz] Kyiv not Kiev

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 09:47:24 UTC 2022

On 28/06/2022 12:50, Petro Ord wrote:
>> I think the first mention on the mailing list that Europe/Kyiv might be
>> preferable (but not a request for change) was this post:
>> https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2007-May/014365.html
>
> Considering the last name of the person who submitted the message -
> McDonald - only confirms that Kyiv is accepted by English-speaking
> people as common.

Not as common as Kiev at the time.

> But despite that, I'm telling you about an error in the tz database,
> not a typo or misspelling - an error.
> In June 2019 the name Kyiv was officially adopted by the United States
> Board on Geographic Names as the only correct one, which means, on the
> contrary, that Kiev is not a correct one, therefore there is no
> correct timezone for Kyiv.

The names used in the TZ database are supposed to be the most prevalent
versions in the English language.  Names adopted by the United States
Board on Geographic Names or any other official body have nothing to do
with it.

> The other question is how important is that error correction? - The
> answer could have been seen in the community archive list, but the
> number of such requests is, I assume, significantly suppressed due to
> the unwillingness of the coordinator to add these requests to the
> list.

Not important enough to expedite a release for the reasons already
mentioned.  Clocks will continue to show the correct time without this
change.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-