[tz] Please Don't Feed the Trolls (was Kyiv not Kiev)

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Thu Jun 30 17:58:37 UTC 2022

> On Jun 30, 2022, at 10:26 AM, Doug Ewell via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>
> Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>
>> I just experimented, and apparently, MacOS no longer accepts Kiev,
>> only Kyiv.  Score one for the petitioners. :)
>
> If this means that macOS accepts "Europe/Kyiv" as a tz-style time zone, but does not support "Europe/Kiev",

It doesn't.  See my email, and:

$ date
Thu Jun 30 10:51:34 PDT 2022
$ TZ=UTC0 date
Thu Jun 30 17:51:38 UTC 2022
$ TZ=Europe/Kiev date
Thu Jun 30 20:51:50 EEST 2022
$ TZ=Europe/Kyiv date
Thu Jun 30 17:51:55 UTC 2022

(Any UN*X that has a list of cities in its time zone chooser should offer a "tzchooser" command, or something such as that, that takes a city name as an argument, with other region information provided as necessary, and outputs the appropriate tzdb region name, so the user can do something such as

	TZ=`citychooser Kyiv` date

or

	TZ=`citychooser Paris TX` date

and get the right answer.)

> then this would be a very unusual sort of breaking change, since no tz database version beyond 2022a has been released yet.

And Apple don't ship it yet.

> If this is about UI strings,

It is.

> then it is not related to the tz database or the pending change.

It is, indeed, not related to the tz database or the pending change, as per my earlier email.