[tz] Please Don't Feed the Trolls (was Kyiv not Kiev)

Paul Gilmartin PaulGBoulder at AIM.com
Thu Jun 30 18:55:59 UTC 2022

On Jun 30, 2022, at 11:26:03, Doug Ewell via tz wrote:

> Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>
>> I just experimented, and apparently, MacOS no longer accepts Kiev,
>> only Kyiv.  Score one for the petitioners. :)

I'm astonished.

> If this means that macOS accepts "Europe/Kyiv" as a tz-style time
> zone, but does not support "Europe/Kiev", then this would be a very
> unusual sort of breaking change, since no tz database version beyond
> 2022a has been released yet.

Generally, the historic name is preserved with a symbolic link.

Peculiarly, MacOS doesn't use symlinks in zoneinfo but replicates the files,
despite that MacOS freely uses symlinks elsewhere.

The extra storage is inconsequential.  But, still, perhaps Deborah Goldsmith
can relieve my puzzlement.

--
gil