[tz] permanent DST and North American time zone names

John Sauter John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com
Wed Mar 16 15:10:05 UTC 2022

The tzdb aims to support the actual use of time zones, rather than
necessarily what the laws say.  In keeping with that idea, wouldn't it
make sense for tzdb to use the abbreviations that people actually use
after the transition to permanent DST is complete?

The problem, of course, is that we won't know ahead of time what
abbreviations to use.  A reasonable guess, however, is that people will
continue to use whatever abbreviations they have been using.  Thus,
Phoenix will continue calling its time MST, Los Angeles PDT and Denver
MDT.  If that changes, the tzdb can always be updated in response.
    John Sauter (John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com)
--
get my PGP public key with gpg --locate-external-keys
John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com