[tz] permanent DST and North American time zone names

Chris Walton crj.walton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:47:12 UTC 2022

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 11:15 AM Tim Parenti via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> Complicating matters somewhat is that, because of the prevalence of tzdb,
> in a sense we're "victims of our own success".  That is, whatever we end up
> picking will likely show up fairly automatically in a lot of public-facing
> places, and so even if it isn't what the public would've naturally used in
> the immediate aftermath of a change, many will be fairly quickly informed
> by what they start to see, and may start adopting and spreading whatever
> nomenclature we've picked.

This is a good thing.  It is my opinion that the people who are best able
to choose the time zone names and abbreviations are those that have the
complete understanding of all North American time zone practices and
idiosyncrasies.  Those people happen to be the members of this mailing list.
If decisions on standard time zone naming are left up to the politicians
and the general public, the results will be unpredictable and
inconsistent.   My hope is for a common standard that crosses all National,
provincial, state, and territorial borders;  we already have such a
standard today, but it will clearly require changes moving forward.  If the
changes are not well thought out, we will be left with a broken standard
which will not properly serve the people of North America.
-chris