[tz] Unfortunate time zone names in the United States

Chris Walton crj.walton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 00:58:00 UTC 2022

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 7:14 PM Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On 3/17/22 14:31, Chris Walton via tz wrote:
> > Yukon recently did the same thing.
>
> When Yukon did that, we modeled that as America/Whitehorse and
> America/Dawson being on -07 standard time all year, with the
> abbreviation "MST". This made sense, as that's what "MST" means
> elsewhere in North America.
>
> This new change, if it becomes law, won't be so easy to deal with. It
> will likely cause "Pacific Time" to be synonymous with -07 and "Mountain
> Time" to be synonymous with -06 in popular usage, which means that the
> entries for America/Whitehorse and America/Dawson will need to change
> from "MST" to something else, as "MST" will be misleading.

Yes. Under option #4 (from the options I presented in another email
thread), the following zones would all need to be reconfigured to use
*UTC-07* and the "*PST*" abbreviation year-round:
 •America/Los_Angeles
 •America/Phoenix
 •America/Vancouver
 •America/Creston
 •America/Dawson_Creek
 •America/Fort_Nelson
 •America/Whitehorse
 •America/Dawson
 •America/Hermosillo
 •PST
One west coast zone that could be problematic is  *America/Tijuana*.  If it
follows the US and moves to permanent *UTC-07*, then it can simply be added
to the list above.  Otherwise, under option #4, it has to start using
*AKST/AKDT* which is admittedly not what anybody will wish for.
And then there is "*PST8PDT*".  This one might need to be abandoned no
matter what path we take.
-chris