[tz] Change Request: Europe/Kiev to Europe/Kyiv

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Mar 17 21:37:43 UTC 2022

Matt Johnson-Pint wrote in
 <CAKxAwDom9DMFYYTHV-R43GY0sf-C_0z=JpnhSv07J4523mkG3g at mail.gmail.com>:
 |I wholeheartedly agree.  It's time we switch the Zone entry to
 |Europe/Kyiv.  We can have Europe/Kiev be a Link in the backward file.
 |
 |Paul - PLEASE make this change now.  From your own commentary in the europe
 |file:
 |
 |> Admittedly English-language spelling of Ukrainian names is controversial,
 |and some day "Kyiv" may become substantially more popular in English; in
 |the meantime, stick with the traditional English "Kiev" as that means less
 |disruption for our users.
 |
 |We have reached that day.  Kyiv is substantially more popular in English,
 |and continuing to use Kiev is now MORE disruptive, as it makes many of
 |our users appear to be friendly to Russian aggression, and makes us
 |continue to have this debate.

I know it is terribly off-topic and i am not defending this war.
But in Donbass there was an eight year long war, and Human Rights
Watch accused the non-Russian side of using cluster bombs
etc. against Russians in 2015 plus.  There were ~14000 death human
beings on both sides in the last eight years, and the one and only
Russian point in the Minsk protocol, asking the population of
Donbass in a democratic vote on which side of the border they want
to live, was never fullfilled, not even to an extent.  We are
talking about three million people here.  And even though all
(non-Ukraine) parties tried to get that done, including to a large
extend Germany and the by then minister of foreign state and now
president Steinmeier.

I really wish anyone would talk about the ~1.3 million death
human beings in Irak, Afghanistan and Pakistan, as well as the
millions of people starving in Yemen due to western supported
warfare.  ~1.3 Million, and Germany was involved!  By Jove!!!

Thank you.
(On topic i have nothing to say, i do not oppose the name of
course, especially if there will remain a link.)

--steffen