[tz] Etc/GMT+nn and Etc/GMT-nn not working since zic 2021d

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 16:39:53 UTC 2022

On 22/03/2022 16:23, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 3/22/22 09:00, Ian Abbott via tz wrote:
>> I guess this bug would affect all timezones that have no transitions?
>
> More generally, the bug occurs if you use 'zic -r @T' with a timezone
> that lacks transitions before T. This means the truncated TZif file will
> be larger than an untruncated TZif file would be, because the truncated
> file needs to record the truncation timestamp in addition to all the
> other stuff. I'll look into patching the bug.

Perhaps the low/high cutoff points could be rounded down/up to actual
transition points (if they exist) or beginning/end of representable
time?  That might put more leap second transitions in the zone though.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-