[tz] indentation in localtime.c

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 31 16:08:01 UTC 2022

On 3/25/22 09:46, Ian Abbott via tz wrote:

> I'm not sure, but from the "git blame" output, it looks like Arthur
> Olson pretty much stuck with a shift width of 8 (matching the tab size),
> and Paul's shift widths were a bit more variable, perhaps to fit the
> code in 80 columns nicely, and also more use of lining up the parts of
> expressions split across lines with the opening parentheses of the
> previous lines.

Yes, Arthur and I have different indentation styles. I've found lesser
indentation to be useful when squeezing in fixes that require deeper
nesting, without going past 80 columns or altering lines that don't need
changing.

There is a tension between having source code that looks nice and
consistent now, vs a repository where "git blame" works all the way back
to the beginning.