[tz] Some typo fixes

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 31 20:00:23 UTC 2022

On 3/21/22 12:37, Arthur David Olson wrote:
> As a fan of using square brackets to indicate when quoted material has been
> edited, I've attached diffs to introduce them; the changes also appear
> below.

I'm a bit more a fan of the Chicago Manual of Style, which says
<https://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch13/ch13_sec007.html>:

"Obvious typographic errors may be corrected silently (without comment
or sic; see 13.59), unless the passage quoted is from an older work or a
manuscript source where idiosyncrasies of spelling are generally preserved."

For the changes you mentioned, I think we can avoid a clash in editorial
style by omitting rather than correcting some misspellings, by
paraphrasing rather than by quoting some, and by updating the dates of
your quotes since you're correcting your own comments (that's what I do
when correcting my own comments). Proposed patch attached.

If you'd still prefer the square-bracket-laden versions of your own
quotes, though, please let me know and I'll put those in instead.