[tz] 2021e Asia/Dushanbe

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri May 13 19:20:28 UTC 2022

On 5/13/22 09:35, Tim Parenti via tz wrote:

> I'm not sure where your "must contain a named rule" quote is coming from

I imagine this was a style rule of Nick's invention. Violating the rule
might issue a warning but it shouldn't be a fatal error, as the 'asia'
file was correct as-is.

> in this case the "rule" is not named, *per se*, but is rather a constant
> 1:00.  The relevant thing is that the RULES field is not "-".

Or more precisely it's that the RULES column is neither "-", nor a
suffixless zero offset, nor an offset with an "s" suffix. We don't use
any of these more-obscure features in TZDB data but they're in the .zi
format.

Since TZDB consistently avoids '/' in the many other places where this
situation arises, it should avoid '/' here for stylistic consistency. So
I installed the attached proposed patches. The 1st patch omits the '/'
in question; the 2nd documents that STDOFF columns don't have suffixes
(this wasn't clear in the man page, and I discovered this while looking
into the 3rd patch), and the 3rd adds a style check for this.

None of these patches affect the TZif output files.