[tz] Unexpected last transition in Africa/Casablanca

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu May 19 12:54:14 UTC 2022

On Wed, 18 May 2022 at 18:41, Paul Eggert via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
> What would it take to get this fixed properly in Android and ICU and
> Java, and to support negative DST and all that? I know this can't be
> fixed overnight, but what would it take for a fix in the long run?

It will never be "fixed". Because from our perspective TZDB is broken,
not Java/Android/ICU.

Key here is that Java (and thus indirectly Android) and ICU take
backwards compatibility more seriously than TZDB. The DST flag has a
specific meaning to Java, and there is no interest in whether a
location has positively or negatively defined DST rules.

For global-tz, I simply publish the standard and rearguard versions
for consumers to pick from.
https://github.com/JodaOrg/global-tz/releases/tag/2022agtz

Perhaps TZDB could remove negative DST from the data and just refer to
it only in comments? Maybe that way you could remove rearguard.

Stephen