[tz] iana build failures on Windows

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 1 18:20:34 UTC 2022

On 2022-11-01 02:04, Manuela Friedrich wrote:

> Your patch works fine. Thank you!
> Can you release a new version with this fix since the 2022f release contains the problematic code and fails to build on Windows?

Thanks for checking. I installed the attached. This should appear in the
next release.

I hope we don't need a new release urgently merely due to this issue.
Developers building on MS-Windows can use use GNU Make (via WSL,
Chocolatey,  MinGW-w64, etc.) and if nmake has a serious issue like this
one I can't help but wonder whether it has other lurking issues we don't
know about (plus, 'make check' is buggy even with this patch); so I
might suggest GNU Make anyway. If there's some reason developers can't
use GNU Make, they can use the first attached patch in the meantime;
it's just one line.

There's a good chance we'll need a new tzdb version reasonably soon for
some more-urgent reason (Paraguay, say), so this is a temporary situation.