[tz] United States Senate reintroduced Sunshine Protection Act, enabling Permanent DST

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Sat Nov 5 01:20:46 UTC 2022

    Date:        Fri, 4 Nov 2022 16:16:04 -0600
    From:        Paul Gilmartin via tz <tz at iana.org>

  | Why?

Why what?

Why did time run out?   Why was the bill proposed in the first place?

Why would you expect anyone here to be able to answer those, or any
similar question, I don't think we have any list members who have any
crystal balls here.

  | Would that apply throughout the United States, including Hawaii,
  | Puerto Rico, and Arizona?

Again, this is not really the appropriate source for proposed US legislation,
but as I recall what was mentioned earlier, yes, but (see below)

  | Would tm_isdst be set uniformly?

If there is only one standard time for a zone, then yes, it would be
set uniformly, to 0 for that zone - just the same as any other zone
that has no seasonal time shifts.   But with no actual legislative
changes being made, speculating on what would happen is just that,
speculation.   But note that calling it "permanent daylight saving"
is just a way of communicating to the great uneducated what the time
would end up being, not any kind of requirement that tm_isdst==1 is
required.

  | Would regions wanting light on winter mornings be allowed to select
  | a more westerly time zone with approval of the Secretary of Transportation?

That was my understanding, yes.

  | Would it happen precipitously in 2024 causing maximum confusion about
  | poll closing time with electronic devices not updated?

How can you possibly expect anyone here to answer that?

Go speak to someone who knows what is, or could, possibly happen, or just
read the published information, like everyone else does.

kre