[tz] United States Senate reintroduced Sunshine Protection Act, enabling Permanent DST

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Mon Nov 7 21:45:39 UTC 2022

On 2022-11-07 2:29 PM, Doug Ewell via tz wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> ... and neither group is old enough to remember the last time we
>> abolished DST.
> I'm definitely not old enough to remember the last time the US abolished nationwide DST, which I guess would have been right after World War II.
>
> OTOH, I do remember the mid-'70s experimentation with making DST permanent. That was not pretty.

PUBLIC LAW 93-182-DEC. 15, 1973
To provide for daylight saving time on a year-round basis for a two-year
trial
period, and to require the Federal Communications Commission to permit
certain daytime broadcast stations to operate before local sunrise
https://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/93/182.pdf

PUBLIC LAW 93-434-OCT. 5, 1974
To amend the Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservation Act of
[H. R. 16102]
1973 to exempt from its provisions the period from the last Sunday in
October,
1974, through the last Sunday in February, 1975.
https://uscode.house.gov/statutes/pl/93/434.pdf

The cautionary tale about "permanent DST".

How would the TZDB rule sets best handle this if the Sunshine Protection
Act passed as currently written?

-Brooks