[tz] Minor (unimportant really) technical UB bug in strftime() ?

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Nov 10 10:17:56 UTC 2022

Paul Eggert said:
>> You're wrong, pure and simple. There's no such thing as uninitialized data
>> in that sense.
>
> OK, thanks, I stand corrected. However, the C standard is (dare i say
> it) *peculiar* in this area. And because some implementations don't
> follow this part of the standard, it's safer to avoid using memcpy on
> uninitialized data.

Implementations or tools like lint or valgrind? Are there implementations
that can't copy an arbitrary byte of memory to another location?

It's quite understandable that valgrind is more picky and often that's what
you want.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.