[tz] End of time change in Colombia 1993

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Thu Nov 10 23:40:00 UTC 2022

PS: there is also an English version of the respective WP page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Colombian_energy_crisis

It has an interesting statement:

> Of Colombia's 1,024 municipalities, 1,000 declined to change time
> zones and took months to come into effect.
the Spanish version in WP makes no sense when it says:

> La medida conocida como "Hora Gaviria
> <https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%A9sar_Gaviria>" comenzó a las
> 12:00 AM del 2 de mayo <https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_de_mayo> de
> 1992 <https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992>. Mil alcaldes municipales de
> los 1.024 que tenía el país en ese momento se negaron a cambiar a la
> zona horaria y solo se ajustaron a la medida diez meses después
y solo se ajustaron a la medida diez meses después = and they were only
fitted to the measure ten months later. because 10 months after may 1992
we are in March 1993, and by that time the measure had already ended.

But that is of little concern for TZ, as it only wants to know about
Bogota. The capital was certainly among the few communes who followed
the law.

It will be hard to research which parts of the country adopted the 1992
time shift at which point. This being after 1970, TZ should in principle
represent the division of the country into areas with different time
practice.