[tz] Country name change from Turkey to Turkiye

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 17:42:17 UTC 2022

On 18/11/2022 17:26, Doug Ewell via tz wrote:
> Bin Li wrote:
>
>> Do you have any plans to change Turkey's name? Because it's the
>> official name now.
>
> The time zone identifier, which is the only part of the database that users should normally see (if that), is "Europe/Istanbul".
>
> There is a Rule called "Turkey", but Rule names are internal and there is no commitment that they reflect the "correct" names of places. The Rule describing the situation in Manitoba from 1916 to 2006 is called "Winn", and no one can claim that "Winn" is the official and correct name for either Winnipeg or Manitoba.
>
> Comments are just comments.

It also appears in iso3166.tab file (which is read by the tzselect.ksh
script), although the comments in the file indicate that the "usual"
English name for the country code is used, not the English name from the
ISO 3166 tables.

The "usual" English name for country code TR is still "Turkey", and I
guess it will take some years for that to change.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-