[tz] Country name change from Turkey to Turkiye

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Sat Nov 19 05:18:30 UTC 2022

On 2022-11-19 03:14:01 (+0800), Brian Inglis via tz wrote:
> On 2022-11-17 23:09, Bin Li via tz wrote:
>> Do you have any plans to change Turkey's name? Because it's the
>> official name now.
>> https://www.npr.org/2022/06/03/1102841197/turkey-changes-its-official-name-to-turkiye
> <https://www.npr.org/2022/06/03/1102841197/turkey-changes-its-official-name-to-turkiye>
>
> One of the stupider ISO decisions, as English supports no accents,
> except in loanwords, and they are just ignored, except possibly in
> academic publishing.

English would not be English if it weren't for its liberal (promiscuous
even) adoption of loanwords from around the world.  There is ample
precedent in ISO 3166 for all manner of what you call accents: Åland
and Curaçao come to mind.

> I think it is time native English language speakers push back against
> and ignore decisions made by international committees of non-native
> English language speakers, to try and change what native English
> language speakers use to what the foreign language uses in Latin
> alphabet transliterations, just as the other 100+ countries who have
> no "official" transliteration do.

I think you may be suffering from a severe underappreciation of the
number of native English language speakers in the world.  Most of the
more than fifty countries, regions and territories where English is
spoken natively seem to cope just fine with more than 26 letters and any
number of diacritics.

It's 2022.  It's time to stop clinging to ASCII.  We can handle bits in
groups of up to 32 without too much of a struggle on most contemporary
computers.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps