[tz] [PROPOSED 0/4] Port to C89, and deprecate C89

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Nov 19 20:41:31 UTC 2022

While looking into fixing some bugs in tzcode, I noticed some places
where existing code wouldn’t work with ancient C89 compilers. I fixed
the problems I found in this patch series. Quite possibly other
problems remain, problems that I didn’t notice.

As nobody has reported C89-related problems for ages, it appears that
these old compilers are no longer being used to compile tzcode. So I
propose that we remove C89 support, to avoid future maintenance
burdens such as the one I recently went through. As part of the
transition away from C89 support, the last patch in this series
announces that C89 will be removed in some future release. We can keep
C89 support for at least one release longer.

Paul Eggert (4):
  Port to C89 gcc -pedantic
  Port UINT_FAST64_MAX back to C89
  Port int_fast64_t to C89 64-bit long