[tz] New change in Mexico

Heitor David Pinto hdave at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 27 20:06:41 UTC 2022

Hello,
Mexico is planning to change time zones again. Last month, the whole state of Chihuahua moved to UTC-6 without DST, causing a time change across the border with the US for part of the year. Now the northern municipalities want to have the same time zone as the respective neighboring cities in the US, for example Juárez in UTC-7 with DST, matching El Paso, and Ojinaga in UTC-6 with DST, matching Presidio. The congress of Chihuahua and the federal Chamber and Senate all approved the change, following the combined procedure specified in the new time zone law, and now it awaits the president's approval. The change should occur on the day after the official publication of the law, again on short notice.https://politica.expansion.mx/congreso/2022/11/24/aprueban-que-ayuntamientos-fronterizos-de-chihuahua-tengan-horario-de-verano

But there is another problem. The actual law that was passed says that Juárez and Ojinaga will observe UTC-7 and UTC-6 during the DST period, not outside of it. I think that this was an oversight as a result of trying to pass the law through all the chambers very quickly, but I can't believe that no one noticed it. There is a legislative procedure in Mexico called "fe de erratas" to correct obvious mistakes without having to pass the law again, but in this case the correction would have to alter multiple sections so I'm not sure if it will be possible. Either way, I expect confusion in the next days.http://gaceta.diputados.gob.mx/PDF/65/2022/nov/20221124-VII.pdf

Regards,Dave