[tz] New change in Mexico

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Wed Nov 30 05:37:00 UTC 2022

On Tue, 29 Nov 2022 at 19:50, Heitor David Pinto <hdave at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> The municipalities have well-defined boundaries, see this map:
> https://cuentame.inegi.org.mx/mapas/pdf/entidades/div_municipal/chihmpios.pdf

Ah, that seems to be part of the issue — while the word "municipality" is
often used to refer to an individual settlement in US English, a
"municipio" in Mexico (and similar words in many other countries) is a
second-level administrative division, which is more akin to, say, a county
in much of the US or a civil parish in much of Britain.  That is, these
lists are not of individual settlements which are far apart (although they
often share names with such), but rather of well-defined regions —
administrative subdivisions of states — which, as Heitor points out, cover
the entire border.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipalities_of_Mexico

While "municipio" does, admittedly, seem to be best translated to English
as "municipality", since the English word has many meanings, it's maybe
best to be more faithful to the original Spanish use here for clarity.
We've left "municipio" untranslated in nearby commentary for Mexico before,
so I've applied the attached to the development repository
to hopefully alleviate some further confusion for others who might come to
these comments unaware of some of the details of Mexico's
political subdivisions.  While I don't necessarily expect many more one-off
adjustments to the new arrangement in the immediate future, if that does
come to pass, it might behoove us to further standardize our commentary for
the various Mexican zones (in a similar manner as was done for the many
Russian zones in 2014).

Anyway, that puts the dividing line between the two resultant zones along
the border between the municipio of Guadalupe to the northwest and the
municipios of Coyame del Sotol and Ojinaga to the southeast …which meets
the US border between Barrio Alto and Presidio de Pilares, about 15 km
south-southeast of my (comparatively uninformed) guess, which I suppose
wasn't all too bad for a ~900-km-long border.

--
Tim Parenti